Athletic Bras and Lingerie Career Costumes Denim Formal and Bridal Goth & Punk Maternity Outerwear Shoes & Hosiery Swimwear Tall Trendy Uniform Vintage and Retro
Beauty Plus Power
Quick SearchQuick SearchQuick Search

Shopping Directory
Block of Categories - break up



BeautyPlusPower.com & FashionFitsMe.com

Evans Blog Partner Program
plus size clothing for women



Beauty Plus Power
Beauty Plus Power

Thursday, April 29, 2010

What should this blog be?
I am having a little bit of an identity crisis these days. I've spoken about this before but I am really a different person then I was when I started this site. More than that, the internet and the plus size community are different than they were when I created this site in 2004.

There are a tremendous amount of plus size bloggers now, a lot of whom are vivacious, sexy, mostly unmarried girls, mostly in their 20s (yes, for every blogger like the ones I just mentioned I know there are some older/married/etc out there). They have better sense of style than I feel like I ever did, and they wear things they are braver than I ever was to wear - I mean, I didn't even know what "bodycon" was until I started reading their blogs. To imagine that there was a whole style for plus girls around wearing form fitting clothes! And they look hot doing it too!

Although Beauty Plus Power is still the largest plus size shopping directory on the internet, it's not one of the only ways to get information anymore, which I am happy about because it means that information is more widely available. I used to get hundreds of emails from girls writing to me about their finally finding a place to shop besides Lane Bryant, discovering real fashion options for the first time - and for them, fashion was just something besides a tent. I mean, I hear young people complain about Torrid not being "cool" enough anymore - it had just opened when I first started the site, and the first time I walked in to one, I started crying - because it was so new and different. Young plus size women today do not realize how lucky they are to have more options.

But that's weird for me too, because now I go online and see plus girls in cage skirts, european fashion, the latest trends, knee high boots and the works. Meanwhile most days I wear some plain bootcut jeans and flats to work with a simple top. Today I wore a dressy blouson top with an abstact floral pattern and a jeweled neckline and people kept asking me if I had plans after work (in other words, looking dressy was a departure from the usual). I've grappled with the question of whether what I have to say is relevant, and I think it's legitimate. Who really cares what I have to say?

Fashion is still something I love, something I covet....but priorities have re-defined that. With a fiscally responsible husband and a mortgage, I have to really think about everything I buy. Often I go for volume of items to feel like I've got a lot of different pieces, but then that means not getting my hands on more coveted pieces that are pricier.

With my long commute and my weekends booking faster then I can say boo, I shop in stolen moments. There is a small Century 21-esque shop a few blocks from my office that I pop in once every week or two and grab something cute for under $20. The other day I picked up a Dereon bra & panty set and an Oleg Cassini dress, all for $19.95. But it's not great for when you have a specific piece in mind.

The mall, which is only about 15-20 minutes away is a place I have precious little time for. I went last weekend at around 10am, and had about 3 hours to shop. Seems like enough but it wasn't. I ended up having to stall on my husband and I rushed through the whole experience so much that I got home and realized I had somehow bought 12 tops (very affordable ones, I assure you) and that seven of them were flowered and 4 of them were t-shirts. No pants, no shoes, no dresses, no skirts, no bathing suits - all things I was on the lookout for. Needless to say I have some returning to do, but who has the time?

And OOTD? I've done one ONCE. I never imagined anyone would care what I wore, and now that seems like it drives 90% of plus fashion blogs.

So where does that leave me? That's the part I am not clear on. Any ideas?

8 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger MarieDenee said…

    Lisa!

    You are not alone! :)

    Stay true to you! It is hwat has defined you, established you, and drives you! YOUR voice is what appeals to your readers! Do not forget that! :)

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have been reading your blogs since the days of myspace. ;) A lot HAS changed. It's crazy.

    I think people still most definitely respect your site. This was the very first site that I came across that had a plus size shopping directory...It's great.

    I think I saw you on twitter talking to Gabi in regards to revamping the site. Have you thought about a site makeover? Hmm as far as OOTD posts go, it's not completely necessary, but it does help. Eh, IDK if I'm saying anything helpful to ya. :) I say keep doing whatever you love with this blog. I still read and I always have ;)

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Kimmoy said…

    I agree with marie, do whatever feels right to you and no matter how big the fashion blogging industry gets. There's always someone who will hear and learn from YOU like no one else.

    There's plenty of room for every single one of us to share our own point of views, that's what makes the world so interesting!

    Looking forward to see what you come up with next!

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Moe said…

    I agree with what has been said here. You're a pioneer and your voice is important. It would be a loss to lose you. You have a unique and experienced voice. There are many young, married, plus size women professionals out there.

    I still think you should consider inviting some of your favorite bloggers to guest post to help relieve the pressure from you when you are busy with your other projects.

    Good luck and hang in there!

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think your site is fantastic. I've bought recommended clothes more than once, and have always received rave reviews for them. Your eye is really, really good and you don't have a single view point. You can point out some very cute trendy stuff, but your classic choices are also great. PLEASE don't stop.

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Morty said…

    Please don't leave me to the sea of psycho-warden moderated forums and blogs! I'm glad people are out doing what makes them feel fabulous, but I'm never going to rock sequins leggings and I really get a weird vibe from this militant pro-fat thing. I have enough confidence in myself to let other people have their own opions I guess? And I value yours! <3

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Retro Jordan said…

    The outlay in your blog is clear for reading, I learn a lot, thank you! Wish you make a further progress in the future, I will always look through your website.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger frau said…

    what initially drew (and addicted) me to your site were the editorial spreads.
    so fantastic. i stayed up all night until like 6 a.m. the next day going through each one, trying to locate the clothes to recreate the looks.
    There are a thousand plus size OOTD sites, many of them good, a few great, and plenty that are pretty bad. We can see new lines reviewed on several sites. But I get back to what made you stand out in the first place.

    If you don't have time to do anything else, please go back to the beautypluspower fashion editorials. They were fantastic, and no one else yet has been able to come close.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Visit BeautyPlusPower.com



Lisafashionista
New York

 View my complete profile

Bookmark and Share





Related Posts with Thumbnails